Three Gopalganj Men Sent to Russia for Work, End Up in Conflict
Bangla Press Desk: Hopes of work in Russia have turned into a trap for three young men in Gopalganj. Although promised jobs in the construction sector with a monthly salary of Tk 120,000, they have allegedly been sent to the battlefield.
The father of one of the victims has filed a written complaint with Khilkhet Police Station in Dhaka against the recruiting agency Jabal-E-Noor International Limited, according to Mohammad Sohorab Al Hossain, chief of the police station.
However, police have not yet registered the complaint as a formal case and have instead advised the family to first contact the Bureau of Manpower, Employment and Training (BMET).
BMET, on the other hand, says its involvement is not necessary for filing a case. The agency described the police’s justification for not accepting the case as “unreasonable.”
The three young men, who had gone to Russia in hopes of a better future are reportedly in grave danger. They are Palash Sheikh, the son of Md Jamil Sheikh from Ghosherchar Uttarpara village in Gopalganj Sadar Upazila, Rony Fakir, the son of Nurul Islam Fakir from Sutiyarkul village, and Saurav Molla, the son of Kabir Molla from Balakoir village.
According to the complaint filed by Palash’s father, Md Jamil Sheikh, the three youths were lured by Md Mizanur Rahman, owner of Jabal-E-Noor International Limited in Dhaka’s Nikunja area, with promises of jobs in the construction sector in Russia. He allegedly collected Tk 700,000 from each of them to arrange the work.
On May 7, a total of 30 Bangladeshis, including the three from Gopalganj, were sent to Russia on a flight. But after arriving there, they were allegedly deceived and “sold” to the Russian military, according to the complaint.
The complaint says the young men are now “suffering greatly” and are under the supervision of the Russian army near the Ukraine border. Their heads have reportedly been shaved, military uniform measurements taken, and they were told they would receive combat boots. Their mobile phones were also confiscated.
Abu Saleh, a cousin of Palash, said: “We have learned that Palash was taken to a Russian army camp and sold under a one-year contract after being promised a job at a company called Pro Technology.”
He alleged that people associated with Jabal-E-Noor International Limited “knew beforehand” about the situation.
Rony Fakir’s wife, Trisha Begum, said: “My husband was trying to go to Europe. Through brokers, he came into contact with Jabal-E-Noor International.”
She said the agency promised him a construction job in Russia with a monthly salary of Tk 120,000.
After paying Tk 700,000, her husband flew to Russia on May 7. Upon arrival, however, his phone was taken away.
According to Trisha, the men are occasionally allowed to use their phones for a short time. During those opportunities, Rony sent SMS and audio messages saying they had been forced to sign contracts and had their heads shaved.
“They were taken hostage at gunpoint to a border camp. There they were sold to the Russian army.”
Trisha said she last spoke to Rony on Monday. He reportedly told her he was in a military camp near the Russia-Ukraine border, where gunfire and explosions could be heard. He is living in fear and uncertainty.
Lima Akter Sukhi, the aunt of Saurav Molla, said Saurav was sent abroad through a Dhaka-based agency after paying Tk 700,000. His flight departed at 11am on May 7.
The family spoke with Saurav on May 17. During a video call, he was reportedly seen in a “military environment.”
Lima said Saurav’s mother has not been informed in detail about the situation because she is ill. His father has been contacting different authorities. The family’s only demand is for their son to be brought home safely and quickly.
Gopalganj Sadar Upazila executive officer (UNO) Koushik Ahmed said, “We have heard about the matter. After discussing with higher authorities, initiatives will be taken through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to bring them back quickly.”
He also urged people to remain cautious about such incidents so others can learn from this experience and avoid similar dangers.
The UNO added that law enforcement agencies should take legal action against those involved in the trafficking network.
What Police Say
Khilkhet Police Station chief Sohorab said the complaint filed Tuesday by Jamil Sheikh has been officially recorded, but not yet registered as a criminal case.
Explaining the reason, he said: “Although they went through an agency, they travelled legally as workers through BMET. What exactly happened after they arrived there is still unclear. Therefore, the matter must first be formally reported to BMET.”
He added, “If there are allegations of criminal offenses against the accused individuals, then a complaint should first be filed with BMET and a copy submitted to us. Then we will take the case.”
The police officer further said, “At this moment, we have only documented the complaint at the police station. We have not filed a case yet because the matter primarily falls under BMET’s jurisdiction. BMET will work on the issue.”
He also said assistance from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Expatriates’ Welfare would be necessary to rescue the victims.
“We’ve asked the families to apply to the ministries as well.”
Although no case has been filed yet, police have already begun investigating the incident, Sohorab said.
“We looked into the agency after receiving the complaint. The agency personnel are currently absconding,” he said.
What BMET Say
While police referred the matter to the BMET, officials expressed a different opinion.
Deputy Director Md Mizanur Rahman of BMET’s Emigration Division told bdnews24.com on Wednesday: “No, our involvement is not required for filing a case. We only verify the visa and contract documents submitted to us before giving clearance.”
He said that if workers are later forced into war or other exploitative activities, that would be wrong and could potentially constitute forced labour.
“If they were involved in war activities, then it could even become a human trafficking case.”
"But if it comes to us, since they went abroad legally, we won't call it human trafficking. But under the human trafficking law, this is forced labour. Which happened after reaching there, falls under human trafficking."
He said police not accepting a case is not logical.
According to the official, the workers had received proper manpower clearance before leaving the country.
“After they go abroad, what happens there is not something we can monitor from here. Neither the police nor anyone else can fully monitor that.”
He said, “Both the recruiter, and the job seekers are from our country. If the recruiter’s pattern is to send people into dangerous situations through fake contracts, then filing a human trafficking case would be appropriate.”
At the same time, he noted that in some cases employers abroad may force workers into activities that were never part of the original agreement, raising questions about how much responsibility lies with the Bangladeshi recruiting agency or government.
Attempts to contact Md Mizanur Rahman, chairman of Jabal-E-Noor International Limited, for comment were unsuccessful. Calls to the office number listed on the company’s website also got no response.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
PM Launches Construction of Disaster Management Research and Training Institute
Call for effective tobacco price hike to discourage youth tobacco initiation: Sandhani
Sangeet Academy