WHRD protest rally in New York over the killing of Bangladeshi student by US police

BanglaPress Desk
January 17, 2023

Noman Sabit: The United States-based World Human Rights Development (WHRD) held a protest rally in New York after the police shot dead a Bangladeshi student in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The protest meeting was held at diversity plaza in Jackson Heights, New York on Sunday evening (January 15th) local time.

In the meeting, President of World Human Rights Development Shah Shahidul Haque Sayed said, ‘Our hearts are full of grief and we are saddened. I want to remember the historic Martin Luther King Day today and say that human rights violations and injustices are a threat to all humanity.’ This death is not a death but an unwanted murder, we demand exemplary punishment for those responsible for the untimely death of Sayed Faisal.

President of Jackson Heights Bangladeshi Business Association (JBBA), political figure Gias Ahmed said, ‘We are deeply saddened by this untimely death, we offer our condolences to the bereaved families as well as demand punishment for the culprits.’ He also said that all expatriates should come forward in this regard.

Babu Khan, President of Premium Group of Industries, in his speech expressed deep grief over the death of Sayed Faisal. They are working during the very cold weather for World Human Rights Development human rights protection. We stand in solidarity with this protest.
Organized Secretary Jahangir Alam Joy, Community Leader Masud Siraji, Iqbal Hossain, Young Generation Icon Priscilla, School Student Farhan Rahman and Channel I Journalist Rashed Ahmed and others spoke in the protest meeting chaired by the President of the organization Shah Shahidul Haque Sayed and moderated by the General Secretary Engineer Abdus Sobhan.
Journalist Shahidul Islam, Pulak Mahmud, Kanu Dutta, Sardar Nuruzzaman, Engineer Hasan, Joint General Secretary of JBBA Mofizur Rahman were present in the protest rally.

It is to be noted that on the afternoon of January 4, Bangladeshi origin student Syed Arif Faisal (20) was shot by the police in Cambridge and he lost consciousness on the spot. He died later that evening after being taken by ambulance to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. However, the police have been claiming since the incident that after seeing a long knife in Faisal’s hand, he asked him to drop it. But he was running towards the police and the police were forced to shoot him.